sliced bread #2

Some look at things that are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

riding the curve

--------------------




grades are out... enough said...

as an upper-year mentor and advisor and student ambassador, i've always told first-years and would-be applicants to take the time to reflect on their personal statement... especially at a critical juncture like this, when the overwhelming pressure to perform and compete takes precedence over what should otherwise be a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment, it's all the more important to figure out why one is undertaking legal education in the first place... having a sense of perspective is essential if one is going to survive the challenges and disappointments of law school and keep one's head above the fray...

to offer that perspective, i've borrowed the wise zaniac's words:

Dear Law School,

Please take my creativity and pay lip service to it. Please take my soul and teach me to suppress it. Please take my time and teach me to see it in terms of billable minutes. Please take my classmates and turn them into competitors in a race off the sheer face of a cliff.

Amen. Per legem ad gaudium.
--------------------

1 Comments:

  • At 9:45 a.m., Blogger michael the tubthumper said…

    i tell my students this one...

    "thats true, i agree with him. the intellectual tradition is one of servility to power and if i did not betray it i should be ashamed of myself"

    chomsky, on being accused of betraying the intellectual tradition

     

Post a Comment

<< Home